Whenever we make Lebanese Kafta for guests, the skewers disappear within minutes! Our secret to keeping them nice and moist is to add a little apple sauce to the lamb mixture. Serve with Tabbouleh, Fattoush or Israeli Salad, Tahini Sauce and Pita.
Kafta is a perfect dish for your Shabbat dinner or Succot celebration. For our full Lebanese menu, click here.
- 1-1/2 lbs ground lamb
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp Lebanese 7-Spice* (or you can use cumin & smoked paprika)
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and form into rectangular patties, slightly flattened to ensure they cook through. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes (you can make several hours ahead)
- When ready to grill or broil, remove from refrigerator, skewer each patty and brush each with a little olive oil so it doesn’t stick to the grill or pan
- Grill or broil 4 minutes each side or until meat is cooked to your liking