My daughter, Jemma loves making homemade apple sauce. We keep it rustic instead of the classically pureed version because we like to keep the crunch of the apple. Originally we made this recipe because apple sauce is the classic, natural side dish for potato latkes. But this recipe was such a success in our house that we now make it for Thanksgiving and Rosh Hashanah as well!
- 5 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup water (or more as needed)
- Add all ingredients to sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil then simmer until apples are soft (about 20-30 minutes depending on apples).
- Remove cinnamon stick and serve immediately or refrigerate.