If there is one perfect breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner or snack dish in the repertoire of Jewish cookery, we vote for the Cheese Blintz. Tidy packages of golden pancakes stuffed with a sweet mild cheese and pan-fried to perfection. Hot, warm, or cold, it’s a hard dish to resist. My Great Aunts, Shang and Emma, used to make me these delicious blintzes as a kid.
Cheese Blintzes are classics on the Hanukkah holiday table (referencing the Hanukkah holiday’s traditional spotlight on foods with cheese, sweetness and oil), but we depend on this recipe for our Yom Kippur Break Fast as well. It’s also a great dairy option for Shavuot and a sure favorite for a Bar/Bat Mitzvah kiddush luncheon.
- 3 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup water (as needed)
- non-stick cooking spray for pan
- butter for browning (have about 6 tbsp on hand)
- 12 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups ricotta
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- sour cream
- apple sauce
InstructionsMAKE CREPE BATTER:
- Whisk together all ingredients except flour.
- Sift in flour gradually and blend well.
- Add water as needed to thin the batter for easy pouring.
- Refrigerate batter for 30 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick 8” frying pan over medium heat.
- Coat pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour approximately 1/4 cup batter into the pan and swirl the batter around quickly to form a thin crepe.
- Cook crepes 1 at a time, 1 side only. This will take about 45 seconds.
- Slide crepe out of the pan and repeat until you use all the batter.
- Combine filling ingredients until smooth in a food processor, blender or by hand.
- It not making the blintzes right away, refrigerate the filling.
- For assembly, portion 1/4 - 1/2 cup of filling in the middle of the blintz.
- Fold top down over filling, fold in the two sides, then fold over to close in the filling
- Heat 1 tbsp butter in the pan. Add 2 blintzes to the pan at a time.
- Flip after 1-2 minutes until lightly browned.
- Serve immediately with your choice of sour cream, apple sauce, berries & powdered sugar.