The wonderful array of ingredients in Andy’s Meat Sauce including 3 kinds of meat, lots of fresh and dried herbs and red wine makes this sauce stand out and stand up to meatballs, lasagna or a simple plate of pasta. Andy’s unique technique of blending the sauce base before cooking the sauce saves time and makes the whole process a bit easier. Sauce always tastes better the second day so if you have time, make it ahead.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 28-oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground veal
- 1 lb of ground buffalo (or another pound ground beef or veal)
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 4 shallots, rough chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, 6 chopped (reserve 2 of the garlic cloves for sauce)
- 1 can anchovies
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a blender, puree crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, two cloves of garlic, fresh oregano, fresh basil and anchovies.
- Heat olive oil in large heavy-bottomed pot or dutch oven on medium-low heat. Add onions and shallots and sauté until they are translucent.
- Add chopped garlic (6 cloves) and sauté for an additional 1 minute. Stir constantly so you don’t burn the garlic.
- Add the ground veal, beef and buffalo, salt and pepper and stir frequently until cooked through (5-8 minutes).
- Add 1/4 bottle of red wine. Bring to a boil and then simmer 10 minutes.
- Add dried basil and dried oregano to pot.
- Add the blended tomato sauce to the pot and let simmer for 1 hour, stirring frequently.
- Adjust salt and pepper seasoning as needed.
- Serve with our Classic Meatballs, Classic Lasagna or over pasta.