With the reintroduction of heirloom tomatoes, there are a variety of colors, shapes and sizes of tomatoes to choose from – from sweet to tart. Enjoy this simple tomato gazpacho.
Serves 8-10 small appetizer portions.
- 8 cups tomatoes, rough chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled and rough chopped
- 1 fennel head, rough chopped (reserve the fronds for garnish)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh basil
- 1 chile pepper (habanero, jalapeno or thai chile – keep seeds in if you want spicy)
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pulse all ingredients in a food processor except olive oil ensuring you still have some tomato chunks in the soup
- Drizzle in olive oil
- Adjust seasoning to taste
- Serve and garnish with fresh sprig of basil and fennel fronds